Allergies aren't just an issue for adults. Millions of children suffer from itching, sneezing, nasal congestion, and other allergy symptoms. The pediatricians at ABC Pediatrics in McKinney, TX, offer a variety of treatments that can help improve your child's comfort.
Could your child have allergies?
It's easy to confuse allergy and cold symptoms in kids. Both involve coughing, sneezing, runny nose, and congestion. If your child's symptoms last longer than 10 days, allergies may be to blame.
Other symptoms of allergies can include:
- Dark Circles: Lack of sleep isn't the only cause of dark circles under the eyes. It can also be related to allergies. Tiny blood vessels under the eyes swell when your child is congested, making the under-eye area look darker than usual.
- Fatigue: Allergies can exhaust you, whether you're a child or adult. Your child may be less energetic and too tired to participate in his or her usual activities if he or she has allergies. School performance may also suffer due to fatigue.
- Uncomfortable Eyes: Allergies may cause red, itchy, or watery eyes.
- Morning Nausea: Post-nasal drip during the night can make your child feel a little nauseated in the morning. He or she may even skip breakfast if post-nasal drip is a problem.
- Ear Infections: Allergies can inflame the ears, causing fluid build-up that increases the risk of ear infections.
What can be done if my child has allergies?
Making a few changes around your home can be helpful if your son or daughter has allergies. Removing carpeting, using air-conditioning and air purifiers, and replacing dust-laden blinds with washable window coverings can help. You may also want to keep pets out of your child's bedroom and remove pillows and bedding that contain down or feathers.
Nightly showers will remove pollen, dust, and other allergens from your child's hair and body and make him or her more comfortable while sleeping.
If your child has allergy symptoms, his or her pediatrician in McKinney, TX, may recommend allergy testing to confirm your suspicions. Allergies can be successfully managed with antihistamines, decongestants, eye drops, nasal sprays, and other medications.
Does your child suffer from allergies? Contact the pediatricians at ABC Pediatrics in McKinney, TX, at (972) 569-9904 to schedule an appointment.