Your pediatricians in McKinney, TX, can treat ADHD in your child
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, commonly known as ADHD, is often mistaken for just bad behavior. It can be easy to overlook the signs of ADHD, so it goes untreated. Unfortunately, untreated ADHD in children can translate into problems in adulthood.
The pediatricians at ABC Pediatrics in McKinney, TX, provide a wide range of medical services for children, including diagnosis and treatment of ADHD.
Let’s look at some of the common signs of ADHD. Your child should be evaluated for ADHD if your child is:
- Unable to stay still for long periods
- Frequently squirming and fidgeting
- Unable to get organized
- Often losing or forgetting thing
- Frequently not listening or paying attention
- Excessively talking and blurting out comments
- Running and climbing at inappropriate times
During an ADHD evaluation, your pediatrician will do a thorough examination, make note of any recent illnesses, current medications, and behavior issues. Your pediatrician will also talk with you about behavior you have noticed. Other members of your household and teachers may also be consulted.
To treat ADHD, your pediatrician may recommend:
- Medication therapy, to maximize brain function, sharpen focus, and control behavior
- Behavioral therapy, to learn impulse control and limit or eliminate inappropriate behavior
- Lifestyle modification, to increase nutrients, limit sugar, and increase exercise to promote healthy habits
It’s important to seek out your pediatrician if you think your child might have ADHD. Untreated ADHD can lead to:
- Learning difficulties
- Poor performance in school or work
- Aggressive, harmful behaviors
- Difficulty with relationships
- Mood swings and depression
- Sleep disorders and insomnia
If you are uncertain about whether your child is just doing normal boundary testing or showing independence, or if it might be ADHD, you need to seek out your pediatrician for help.
To learn more about the signs, symptoms, and treatment of ADHD, call the pediatricians at ABC Pediatrics in McKinney, TX. You can reach them in the office by calling (972) 569-9904, so call now.