How your pediatricians in McKinney, Texas can help when your child has an ear infection
Ear infections are a common condition for children and can make your child miserable. Your pediatrician can help your child feel better, and you will feel better too, knowing your child is in good hands. The pediatricians at ABC Pediatrics in McKinney, Texas offer comprehensive pediatric services, including treatment for an ear infection.
Children often develop ear infections because a child’s Eustachian tubes are narrow, and they can plug up easily, causing an ear infection. They can also stay plugged up because they don’t drain as easily.
Ear infections also happen when your child has a virus like a cold or the flu. Bacteria can spread to your child’s ears, causing the infection.
So, how can you tell if your child has an ear infection? There are several signs and symptoms to look out for, including:
- Frequently pulling and tugging on the ear
- Ear pain when your child lies down
- A fever of at least 100 degrees
- Fluid draining from your child’s ear
- Problems hearing and loss of balance
- Headaches and loss of appetite
- Crying and problems falling asleep
If you think your child has an ear infection, there are a few things you can do to get some relief. You can try:
- Giving your child Tylenol for pain
- Placing a warm, moist cloth over your child’s ear
Stubborn, chronic ear infections should be treated by your child’s pediatrician. When you seek out professional treatment for your child, your child can get better faster. Your pediatrician may recommend these treatments for an ear infection:
- Prescription antibiotics to treat the infection
- Placing ear tubes to help drain fluid from your child’s ears
Quick treatment for an ear infection can help your child avoid pain and protect your child’s hearing. To find out more about the treatment of ear infections, and other pediatric services, call the pediatricians of ABC Pediatrics in McKinney, Texas at (972) 569-9904. Call today!