How your pediatricians in McKinney, TX, can help with ADHD
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, commonly known as ADHD, can sometimes be difficult to diagnose. It’s often hard to tell the difference between normal behavioral milestones like testing boundaries, and abnormal behaviors like aggressiveness.
Your pediatrician can help. The pediatricians at ABC Pediatrics in McKinney, TX, offer a full range of pediatric services including diagnosing and treating behavioral disorders, learning disabilities, and ADHD.
There are some definite signs and symptoms of ADHD. According to the Child Development Institute, your child may have ADHD if he or she experiences:
- Difficulty staying seated for long periods
- Chronic squirming or fidgeting
- Chronic lack of organization
- Forgetting or losing things
- Frequently not listening or following directions
- Difficulty paying attention to details
- Excessive talking or blurting out comments
- Running, climbing, or other activities at an inappropriate time or place
Without treatment, ADHD can lead to problems which can continue into adulthood, including:
- Learning difficulties and poor grades
- Destructive behaviors and aggression
- Difficulty forming friendships
- Severe mood swings and depression
- Sleep disorders and insomnia
Your pediatrician offers several effective treatments to manage ADHD. These treatments are often used together to help with ADHD:
- Medication therapy, using medications that help to increase brain function, sharpen the ability to focus, and increase self-control mechanisms; some of the most common medications include Adderall and Ritalin.
- Behavioral therapy, involving both the child and the parents and focusing on tools and techniques to reduce inappropriate, aggressive, and destructive behaviors.
- Lifestyle modification, which can include diet (avoiding sugar, and increasing nutrients and vitamins) and increasing exercise and activity level.
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder can affect your child in dramatic and unexpected ways. If you think your child is experiencing symptoms of ADHD, it’s time to take action. It’s time to call the pediatricians at ABC Pediatrics in McKinney, TX. Your child deserves to enjoy a great life, so call today!